SPCs involve national institutions and the main stakeholders in the sector. They operate with the goal of showing the world how maritime transport represents an extremely reliable, safe, economically and environmentally viable alternative to land transport.
The main activities of the SPCs include:
- Disclosure of legislative and technical information on SSS.
- Taking part in studies, technical committees and public consultations at EU and national level.
- Active participation in training activities in the maritime and intermodal transport sector.
- Cooperation with the Escola Europea de Short Sea Shipping e Centre Atlantique de Shortsea Européen.
- Organization of the Annual conference on SSS and participation to the Shipping Weeks promoted at EU and national level and to other relevant events.
- Promotion of the economic, environmental and social advantages of SSS and of its integration within the international intermodal transport chain through the organization and participation to national and local events.
- Dialogue and exchange of point of views with the most important associations in the sector (ECSA, ECASBA, ESPO, FEPORT, IURR, IRU, CLECAT, ESC, …).
The currently active European SPCs within the ESN are the following plus Turkey: